Access to the recycling centre
We’ve introduced a new system for using the Recycling Centre in Kingston. Instead of the paper permits we've used in previous years, we're issuing tax disc style stickers which attach to your windscreen. There’s no rush to pick up your new car window sticker permit - you can collect one whenever you next visit.
Dealing with rubbish is expensive, so we want to encourage as much recycling as possible and ensure that we only pay for rubbish generated by Kingston residents. As well as making it easier for you to access the Recycling Centre, the new car sticker permits will also help ensure that the facility is only used by Kingston residents.
To receive your new car permit on your next visit, just take along your council tax demand letter and photo ID. If your household uses more than one vehicle, you can get an additional permit when you visit the site in that vehicle. Make sure you take your council tax statement and ID.
Please note, we are closely monitoring and reviewing this new system to address any difficulties and issues that are encountered by customers in order to make improvements (where and if necessary), including accessibility options to enhance the recycling centre service for all customers in the future.
The Recycling Centre is for household recycling and rubbish only; trade waste is not permitted. Restrictions apply for vans, commercial vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians. These are subject to change, so always check these pages for the latest information ahead of your visits.
Why have we made this change?
There are a number of reasons why we’re introducing the new sticker permits, including:
- to speed up entry into the site, by allowing a quick visual check of the permit in the window.
- this will also increase safety on the approach road by giving more time to the gate controller to marshall traffic safely.
- working with our contractor and partner boroughs to use a consistent permit approach.
- to save money; the permits will be valid for a number of years and will only be issued to those who need them.
- to reduce potential abuse of the service you pay for. Permits will be digitally tied to the vehicle you use, so when we check the Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) on site, we’ll know whether your car has been issued a permit by our contractor. This will help eliminate permits being ‘lent’, given to commercial users or even those from outside the borough looking to dispose of their waste for free.
In order to achieve this, we’ll note down your car registration number when we issue your permit, and we’ll keep that information digitally secure. If you’re using a hire car, van or other commercial vehicle (see full details on our What you can take to the centre page) we ask that you register your vehicle - see our Honesty Form page for details. The recycling centre is provided for residents of the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames only and does not accept commercial waste.
Acceptable photo ID
Your photo ID must be current and valid. It can be any of the following:
- Driving Licence (paper licences not acceptable)
- Freedom Pass
- EU Photocard Driving Licence
- National Identity card (Non-UK nationals)
- Electoral Identity Card (Northern Ireland)