Recycling and rubbish collections guide

Recycling collections

The information provided on these pages are designed to assist residents with sorting your rubbish and recycling into the correct containers for collection. 

Only put listed items for each bin type in the correct recycling and rubbish bins. If bins are contaminated with incorrect items they will not be collected by our crews. 

Paper and card recycling

Your paper and card recycling is collected every two weeks. If you have large bits of cardboard which will not fit in the bin, you can place this on top or by the side of the bin. This type of waste is for blue bins and clear sacks. The items you can recycle include;

  • Newspapers and Magazines
  • Envelopes and Junk mail
  • Catalogues
  • Paper and Printed paper
  • Card and cardboard (please flatten)
  • Greeting cards
  • Kitchen roll and toilet roll tubes (no tissue paper)
  • Egg boxes
  • Shredded paper (small amounts)

Mixed plastics, glass and metals recycling

Your dry mixed recycling containers or sacks are collected every two weeks. In order to make the most of the space in your container or sack, stack similar items such as yogurt pots and egg boxes and squash plastic bottles. This type of waste is for green bins and blue sacks. Please rinse items before you put them in your container or sack. Items that can go in your containers are listed below;

  • Plastic bottles including drinks bottles; cosmetics bottles; cleaning product or bleach bottles (please remove any spray or pump attachments if possible - normal plastic lids are accepted)
  • Plastic food trays including yoghurt pots please (remove any film lids or coverings)
  • Plastic tubs (ice cream, butter)
  • Cartons for liquid foods and drinks 
  • Glass bottles and Jars
  • Metal tins for canned food and drinks
  • Aerosol containers
  • Clean metal foil wrap or food trays or lids

Food waste recycling

Your food waste recycling is collected every week. You should have two containers to recycle food waste; a brown kitchen caddy and a brown outdoor food bin. Food waste should not go into your non-recyclable rubbish bin.

You can use the smaller brown kitchen caddy inside your home to store any food waste, before emptying into your outside food waste bin. Many people prefer to line their caddy with a compostable liner but this is not essential. Compostable liners can be found in most supermarkets or you can purchase some from our libraries. Alternatively you can place food in the caddies loose or wrapped in paper or newspaper. 

To keep your caddy fresh, empty it into your outdoor food waste bin regularly and rinse it out each time. Make sure that your outdoor food waste bin is locked to keep pests out. 

Items that can go into your food bin:

  • Cooked and raw food
  • Mouldy food
  • Meat and fish including bones
  • Tea bags and coffee grounds
  • Pet food and cut flowers 

Did you know? - The average family throws away nearly £600 worth of food a year. Visit the Love Food Hate Waste website for information on how to save food and money. A lot of food waste can also be composted in your garden. We provide compost bins at a low rate and advice on how to compost at home through

Last Modified: 13/08/2020 17:07:05

Environment and waste

Contact us about environment and waste issues.

Address: Guildhall 2
High Street
Kingston upon Thames

Telephone: 020 8547 5002