Support with rising living costs

Reducing your energy and water costs

If you are on low income, have a disability or are state pension age, it is worth checking to see if you are entitled to any of the following:

  • Council tax energy rebate - Households in England in council tax bands A-D, who are not exempt from council tax, will be eligible for a £150 council tax rebate payment from April this year. Find out more on our energy rebate page.
  • Warm Home Discount - a one-off discount of £140 off your electricity bill. You may be able to get a discount on your gas bill if your supplier provides you with both gas and electricity. Contact your supplier to find out.

There are 2 ways to qualify:

  • If you receive the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit.
  • If you are on a low income and meet your energy supplier’s criteria.

The fund is expected to open again in October 2022. Find out more online

  • Winter Fuel Payment - If you were born on or before 26 September 1955 you could get between £100 and £300 to help you pay your heating bills. The deadline to make a claim for winter 2021 to 2022 is 31 March 2022. For more information online or call 0800 731 0160  
  • Warm Home Better Health - free assessment - We have commissioned the energy-saving experts ‘Thinking Works’ to provide local residents with free home assessments to help keep homes warm and provide advice on keeping well and healthy. If you are a Kingston resident and have one or more of the following, you are eligible for this free service:
  • Aged 65 or over
  • Have a long-term condition such as diabetes 
  • Have a low income, such as being in receipt of Universal Credit

Find out more online or call 0800 118 2327 or email 

  • Energy Bill Discount Scheme - domestic energy customers in Great Britain will receive a £400 discount on their bills this Autumn. The Government will provide funding to all energy suppliers for them to pass on to their domestic energy customers from October.
  • Customers will pay back the discount automatically in equal instalments over five years, starting from April 2023-24.
  • Mayor of London Warmer Homes programme - offers grants between £5,000 and £250,000 to eligible low-income homeowners and private tenants to insulate homes - making them warmer and cheaper to run.
  • National Energy Advice (NEA) - a free support service providing advice on energy bills and how to keep warm and safe in your home. Find out more information by calling 0800 304 7159
  • Smart Energy GB - provides information on smart metres and tips for saving energy around the home. 
  • Simple Energy Advice - provides information on how to reduce your energy bills, make your home warmer, plan home improvements and make your home greener. Find out more information by calling 0800 444202
  • Thames Water - provides two schemes for people on low income, households with large families, or those who have a water-dependent medical condition:
  • WaterHelp - you may be able to get a 50% discount on your water bill if you are a low-income household. 
  • WaterSure - your bill could be capped if you receive certain means-tested benefits, have a medical condition that requires extra water or three or more children are living at the property making you eligible for child benefits.

Visit the Thames Water website for more details on eligibility criteria and how to apply or call 0800 009 3652

Last Modified: 22/08/2022 09:57:34