Support with rising living costs
Finances, budgeting and debt advice
Household Support Fund
The Government has made additional funding available for low-income households in Kingston who meet the criteria and who are struggling to afford food, fuel, utility bills and other essentials. You can apply yourself or ask a professional/someone who supports you to apply on your behalf. For more information, including the eligibility criteria, please visit our Household Support Fund webpages.
The UK Government now has a Help for Households page which first links first to the opportunity to apply for a Cost of Living Payment - to find out id you are eligible - go to the web page here.
Government Energy Bill Support Scheme
For tenants who did not qualify for the Government's Energy Bill Support Scheme (EBSS) through direct monthly payments from their energy provider please find out if you can get a one off £400 EBSS payment here This counld be you if you pay for energy through a landlord, housing manager or site owner, or if you live in a park home, houseboat or off the electricity grid.
Help to increase your monthly income
- Turn2Us - a national charity providing practical help to people who are struggling financially. Try out their benefits calculator or call the helpline on 0808 802 2000
- Universal Credit - if you are working, but on a low income, you may qualify for Universal Credit, you can apply for Universal Credit online.
If you need help applying for Universal Credit then contact Kingston Citizens Advice which offers help to claim - 0800 1448444
Managing your household budget
Knowing how much money you have coming in each month, and where you need to spend it, can help you to keep on top of all your household expenses and prepare for any unexpected extra costs.
- Money Helper - provides an online budget planner where you can keep a record of your spending, a breakdown of your finances by category and personalised tips to help you effectively manage your money. Find out more information online.
- Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) - provides a budgeting tool to help you work out your budget. Find out more by going to the CAB website or calling Kingston CAB on 020 3166 0953.
- Debt Free London - funded by the Money and Pensions Service, they provide free, expert advice either in person, via phone, whatsapp or video chat. Call 0800 808 5700
- MoneyHelper - provides clear, free, independent and impartial advice on how to manage your debts. Find out more by visiting the Money Helper website or calling 0800 138 7777.
- National Debtline - for free independent advice or call 0800 808 4000.
- Stepchange Debt Charity - providing free debt advice and support. Find out more information by visiting the Stepchange website or call 0800 138 1111.
Credit Union - Boom
Boom Community Bank is a not-for-profit financial organisation with more than 12,000 members. It prides itself on offering innovative and accessible financial solutions to support its customers through dynamic economic circumstances.
As a credit union, Boom Community Bank operates within specific areas, including Kingston. It offers competitively priced personal loans, Child Benefit loans, debt consolidation, and savings and current accounts.
Becoming a member is completely free by simply applying for its services, making Boom Community Bank an accessible option for everyone in the Kingston community.