Supporting documents for your claim
To complete your claim for Housing benefit or the Council Tax Reduction Scheme (CTRS) you need to send us supporting documents. Our online calculator and claim form gives you a list of all the documents you will need to send us. Each person claiming for benefits and their partner or other adults living in the home must provide:
We need original documents – not photocopies. Your original documents will be checked, copied and certified by us.
Two pieces of identification
- a passport
- UK residence permit
- drivers licence
- bank/building society statement
- recent gas or electricity bill
Proof of your National Insurance number
- National Insurance number card
- private pension slips
- Tax Credit award notice
Proof of capital, savings and investments
All your bank, building society or post office books, or certificates for premium bonds, National Savings Certificates, ISAs, stocks, shares and unit trusts.
Proof of your earnings – paid weekly, fortnightly or monthly
- if you are paid every week - your last five payslips
- if you are paid every two weeks - your last three payslips
- if you are paid every month - your last two payslips
If you do not have these, please contact us. You may need your employer to complete a Certificate of earnings form.
Proof of your earnings – self-employed
If you or your partner is self-employed, we need your accounts for the last financial year or, if you have been trading for less than 6 months, a summary of your trading records so far.
If you do not have these, please contact us. You may need you to complete a Self-employed certificate.
Proof of other income
- pension slips from a former employer
- tax credits
- a letter from the court showing how much maintenance you receive
- proof of any money people pay you for board and lodgings
Proof of benefits, allowances or pensions
For example, award notices or letters from social security confirming how much you receive. If you do not have proof please let us know as soon as possible. Please do not send order books through the post.
If you receive benefits from the Department of Work and Pensions
For example working tax credit or child tax credit, we can usually get this information directly from the Department of Work and Pensions. If we cannot, we may ask you to provide it.
Proof of private rent or tenancy
- rent book
- rent receipts
- a tenancy agreement or a letter from your landlord
Proof of other money paid out
- receipts from registered childminders, playgroups or after school clubs
- proof of payments to a private pension scheme