Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax reduction

Supporting documents for your claim

To complete your claim for Housing benefit or the Council Tax Reduction Scheme (CTRS) you need to send us supporting documents. Our online calculator and claim form gives you a list of all the documents you will need to send us. Each person claiming for benefits and their partner or other adults living in the home must provide:


Original documents

We need original documents – not photocopies. Your original documents will be checked, copied and certified by us.

Two pieces of identification


For example:

  • a passport
  • UK residence permit
  • drivers licence
  • bank/building society statement
  • recent gas or electricity bill

Proof of your National Insurance number

For example:

  • payslips
  • National Insurance number card
  • private pension slips
  • Tax Credit award notice 

Proof of capital, savings and investments

All your bank, building society or post office books, or certificates for premium bonds, National Savings Certificates, ISAs, stocks, shares and unit trusts.

Proof of your earnings – paid weekly, fortnightly or monthly

  • if you are paid every week - your last five payslips
  • if you are paid every two weeks - your last three payslips
  • if you are paid every month - your last two payslips

If you do not have these, please contact us. You may need your employer to complete a Certificate of earnings form.


Proof of your earnings – self-employed

If you or your partner is self-employed, we need your accounts for the last financial year or, if you have been trading for less than 6 months, a summary of your trading records so far.

If you do not have these, please contact us. You may need you to complete a Self-employed certificate.


Proof of other income


For example:

  • pension slips from a former employer
  • tax credits
  • a letter from the court showing how much maintenance you receive
  • proof of any money people pay you for board and lodgings

Proof of benefits, allowances or pensions

For example, award notices or letters from social security confirming how much you receive. If you do not have proof please let us know as soon as possible. Please do not send order books through the post.

If you receive benefits from the Department of Work and Pensions

For example working tax credit or child tax credit, we can usually get this information directly from the Department of Work and Pensions. If we cannot, we may ask you to provide it.

Proof of private rent or tenancy


For example:

  • rent book
  • rent receipts
  • a tenancy agreement or a letter from your landlord

Proof of other money paid out


For example:

  • receipts from registered childminders, playgroups or after school clubs
  • proof of payments to a private pension scheme