Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction appeals

If you don't understand or do not agree with a decision we have made about your claim you can:

  • ask us to explain the decision. We can send you a written statement of reasons, which is a more detailed explanation
  • ask us to look at the decision again.

You must do this within one calendar month of the date you receive the decision letter by writing to us at:

PO Box 1550
Kingston upon Thames

Make sure you:

  • tell us what decision you are appealing against.
  • explain why you think the decision is wrong.
  • include any further information you want us to consider.

What happens next?

Appeal process for Housing Benefit

If we look at the decision again and do not change it, we will send your Housing Benefit appeal to the HM courts and Tribunal Service, along with the reasons for our decision.

They will send you a form to complete and return within 14 days. If they don’t receive the form your appeal will stop.

Appeal process for Council Tax Reduction

If we have looked at the decision again and you are not satisfied, you have two months to appeal directly to the Valuation Tribunal Service.

You can complete the online Valuation Tribunal appeal form or write to them at:

Valuation Tribunal for England.
2nd Floor
120 Leman Street
E1 8EU

Last Modified: 18/12/2019 16:47:32


Address: PO Box 1550
Kingston upon Thames

Telephone: 0208 547 5001