Apply and upload evidence for Council Tax reduction

A Council Tax Reduction helps you pay some of your Council Tax if you are on a low income or claiming certain benefits.

You can download a copy of the full local scheme rules

Can I claim?

You can claim whether you own your home or rent, or whether you're working or unemployed.

To qualify you must be on a low income and the person responsible for paying the Council Tax

How much am I entitled to?

The amount you get will depend on your age, income and savings, who else lives with you and which benefits you receive.

We will let you know what your actual award is once we have processed your claim.

What you need when you apply

  • National Insurance number for you (and your partner if applicable)
  • full name and dates of birth of everyone in your household
  • your household income, savings, investments and expenses - including things like childcare costs and private pension contributions

Our claim form gives you a list of all the original documents you will need to send us. You will be able to upload the evidence we need when you submit your application.

If you are unable to upload your evidence when you submit your claim you can do this later.

Alternatively you can post the original documents to us at:

PO Box 1550
Kingston upon Thames

Apply for Council tax reduction   Upload evidence   Retrieve an application

You can save and retrieve a partially completed application form and finish it later. You will be given a reference code which you will need to log back into your form. You must complete and submit a form within 28 days of starting it, or it will be deleted from our system.

What happens next?

We will let you know what your award is once we have processed your claim.

If you are not happy with our decision about your claim, you can submit an appeal.

If your circumstances change please tell us as it could affect what you are entitled to.

Last Modified: 07/10/2022 09:37:57