Antisocial behaviour

How to deal with antisocial behaviour

1. Try speaking to the people causing the problem

Before making a report about antisocial behaviour, you can try some of the following:

  • try speaking to the people that are causing the problem in a calm manner - they might not realise that it is affecting you
  • contact neighbours who may also be concerned and are prepared to help
  • keep a diary of events (including the date, time and problem) this can be vital intelligence in helping to support prosecutions or interventions
  • get to know your local police Neighbourhood Specialist Officer and Community Support Officer - visit the Metropolitan Police website for details
  • consider launching a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme

What is not Anti-Social Behaviour?

ASB can be difficult to define, and although annoying, there are some types of behaviour that are not classed as anti-social:

  • children playing in the street or communal areas - unless they are causing damage to property
  • young people gathering socially - unless they are rowdy, inconsiderate and being intimidating to individuals
  • being unable to park outside your own home
  • DIY and off road car repairs - unless these are taking place late at night or early in the morning
  • disagreements about boundary walls, fences and parking
  • cooking smells
  • noise from opening and closing cupboards
  • noisy washing machines and toilets flushing

2.  Report the antisocial behaviour to the council, police or relevant organisation

The Partnership undertakes intervention activities in response to known problem individuals or families, or hotspots.  It identifies the relevant support needed and seeks long-term solutions. In most cases we work with the police and other agencies to address high risk problem behaviour.

We liaise with Councillors, MPs, community groups and partners to advise on best practice and ensure that cases are dealt with fairly and effectively through the use of a Community MARAC process.

A Community MARAC is a multi-agency problem-solving meeting that jointly considers how antisocial behaviour can be investigated and resolved.

You can report some forms of antisocial behaviour with us online – such as abandoned vehicles, fly tipping, graffiti and noise.

If the antisocial behaviour relates to council property, or other registered social landlord (housing association) property, please contact the housing officer who covers your area.

For other kinds of antisocial behaviour, such as criminal activity, you should contact the police - use 101 if it is not an emergency (dial 999 if it is an emergency).

3. If the antisocial behaviour issues aren't resolved, use the community trigger

If you've reported about the same problem three or more times and are not satisfied, the police, the Council and registered housing providers (social landlords) may be required to review their response under the community trigger scheme. Read more about using the community trigger.

Last Modified: 12/05/2021 12:51:48