Landlord rights and responsibilities

Rights and responsibilities

Advice and guides on GOV.UK

As a landlord, you have certain rights and responsibilities when you rent out your property to private tenants.

How we can help

As a private landlord, we can give you free advice on any rental issue including:

Report an empty property

If you see a property in the borough that's been empty for a few months, let us know.

We can then contact the owner to try and bring the property back into use. We can also keep an eye on it to prevent squatters or vandals.

Housing Association Properties

The Council will not investigate complaints regarding housing conditions from tenants of Housing Association properties.

You must first exhaust your Housing Association complaints procedure after which you can take your complaint to the Housing Ombudsman if you remain dissatisfied.

This approach is consistent with advice offered by Housing Associations themselves and the Housing Ombudsman.

Other sources of help and information

Citizens Advice Bureau
National Landlords Association

Last Modified: 30/01/2023 13:42:34

Residential Enforcement & Renewal Team

Contat the Residential Enforcement Team

Telephone: 020 8547 5003