Paying for support (what we charge)

How much will I have to pay? (Financial assessment)

Try the Online Financial Assessment Calculator

To find out how much you might have to pay, try our Online Financial Assessment CalculatorThe calculator is designed to give you an idea of your likely charge. Your charge wil be finalised once you have returned a financial assessment form to the Council's Adult Social Care Finance Team. 

Financial assessment form

How much you have to pay towards the services depends on:

  • the type of service you have
  • your financial situation
  • how easy it is for you to pay

You need to complete a financial assessment form to help us work out how much you need to pay for your care services (in line with our Contributions Policy).

You can read more about the form and how to complete it: complete the financial assessment

Contributions Policy

For further information please see the council's charging policy for Adult Social Care.

If you have any queries please contact the Adult Social Care Finance Team by email or phone on 020 8547 4778.

What the form takes into account

Charges for non-residential care services

We will consider your income and savings when deciding how much you should pay. Standard allowances are made to help you meet day-to-day living costs. We may also include your disability related expenses. At the time we calculate your charge we can also help you to claim any welfare benefits to which you may be entitled

We will not take into account the value of your home, however, we may include any property you own but do not live in within your financial assessment.

If you have more than £23,250 in savings or capital, you’ll have to pay in full for your service. Tell us when your savings are going to fall below this amount as we might then be able to help you. If you have got less than £23,250 we will work out how much you will have to pay towards your care costs. If your income is very low you may not have to pay. 

You'll never be expected to pay more than your available income and your contribution will never be more than it costs to provide the service.

If you do not complete the form we will assume you are able to pay the full cost of your care.

For more information about how we charge for non-residential care services please view the next page.

Charges for living in a care home

Download our factsheet for more information on how we charge for living in a care home.

If we arrange for you to live in a care home the value of your home will usually be taken into account 12 weeks from the date of permanent admission. There are certain circumstances when we will not take the value of your home into account (for example if your husband, wife or partner is still living there).

If the value of your home is included in the Financial Assessment you may wish to consider applying for a Deferred Payment. A Deferred Payment arrangement is designed to help those who have been assessed as having to pay the full cost of their care home costs but who cannot afford to do so because most of their money is tied up in their home.

For more information view the Deferred Payments Scheme section.

You may be required to pay the full cost of living in a care home. If this happens the amount you pay will vary depending on where you stay. Your social worker/care coordinator can advise you about the fees, the type of care provided, the facilities available, the location of the home and the services provided at each home. People with very high nursing or health needs may qualify to have their care fully funded by the NHS.

We negotiate a price with care homes for people who need help with funding. We are required by law to charge for care home accommodation and you will need to contribute towards the fees. The amount you have to contribute depends on:

  • how much the fees are at the home of your choice
  • how much ‘Registered Nursing Care Contribution’ (RNCC), if any, the NHS assesses you as eligible to receive
  • how long your stay will be
  • your income and savings
  • you will always be able to keep a small personal allowance from your income and a set amount from your savings

If you think you need help paying for your care home fees, we will work out how much your contribution to the fees will be. To do this, you will need to complete a Financial Assessment Form. Also, there are special rules about how to value your share of a property if you jointly own it with someone else.

Capital above certain limits (set by Parliament every year) may exclude you from help with your fees. The capital limits beyond which the full cost applies is currently £23,250. This will next be reviewed in 2018/19.

The fees at some homes are greater than the maximum amount that the Council is able to pay although we will always be able to find you a home that accepts our rate. You can choose to go to a home with a higher fee if you have a third party, who can ‘top up’ the amount paid by us. ‘A third party’ could be a friend, a relative, a Union, a charity or a similar organisation, who can  make up the difference between our rate and the  full cost rate charged by the care home. If you are currently able to pay the full cost of your care you may need help with fees at a later date.

This help is only available if you meet certain rules so it would be helpful to get advice now from your social worker/care coordinator. Your social worker/care coordinator will be able to advise you about paying for care and your options. The rules about paying for care homes can change so it is best to check with them for the latest information.