Make your home suitable

If you live in private rented or owned accommodation

Disabled Facilities Grant

If you’re finding your home unsuitable because it doesn’t meet your needs as a disabled person, you can apply for a grant to pay for home adaptations.

If you own or rent your home privately, you can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant. Disabled Facilities Grants are available to help disabled people of any age to adapt their homes to live more independently.

Who can apply for a grant?

To apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant you must be:
  • registered as permanently and substantially disabled (or eligible to be registered)
  • ordinarily a resident in the Royal Borough of Kingston
  • the owner/occupier or tenant of the residence you live in (a landlord can apply on behalf of a disabled person)

How much grant will I get?

The amount of the grant you receive to adapt your home is decided by a ‘means test’. This test is in line with government rules and will look at your income and savings and those of your wife, husband or partner.

The test will help us decide the amount you have to pay towards the cost of the work. However, there is no ‘means test’ if you are a disabled child or young person under the age of nineteen.

What adaptations can I get help with?

Some examples and major adaptations include:
  • level access shower
  • overbath shower
  • stairlift
  • downstairs bathroom
  • ceiling track hoist
  • door ramp
  • widened doors and ramps
  • ground floor/first floor toilet

How do I apply?

The first thing to do is to contact us to book an assessment. Our Occupational Therapist will then visit you at home to see what adaptations you may need to help you to live independently.

The Occupational Therapist may need to ask your GP for some medical information to support your grant application.

How we make a decision

If the Occupational Therapist decides that you do need your home to be adapted, they will make a formal recommendation to our Housing department. We will then send you a financial form to complete and return. If you need help filling in the form – just contact us.

Your likely contribution towards the cost of adapting your home will be worked out and you will be advised what this is. If you receive certain benefits you will not normally have to make a contribution. You will then be asked if you wish to carry on with your grant application.

If you decide to carry on with your application, we will contact you to arrange to visit you at home to decide whether the work to your home is reasonable and practicable, considering the age and condition of your property.

What happens then?

Following the visit to your home, we will send you a letter setting out what work is needed and can be funded by the grant.

We will also send you details of architects, surveyors and builders. This is not an ‘approved’ list but a list of companies that are familiar with the work of adapting people’s homes. You can also appoint an architect, surveyor or builder who is not on the list.

You may be asked to send in: quotes, drawings, planning permission, deeds of the property, or your landlord’s permission for the works to be carried out, if you are a tenant.

We then have six months to decide whether to approve the grant. No works should be started until you have received a grant approval letter.

Once you have received the letter, you can arrange a start date for the work with the builders.

What happens if I withdraw?

If at any stage you withdraw from the process before your grant application has been approved you will be liable for any costs incurred.