Choosing a home care agency - things to consider
You may want to consider the questions below before you speak to any home care service and think about their answers after any discussions or visits have taken place:
- Were the staff helpful in setting out exactly what services they provide?
- Did they explain their costs and charges properly and simply and how you can change or end your contract with the service?
- If you are going to pay for your own care, were they willing to give you a blank copy of their contract for you to look at after your visit?
- Were they confident to let you meet and talk to existing clients?
- Did they offer to show you their latest inspection report?
- Did they ask many questions about you - your likes and dislikes?
- Did you get the impression that you would be living your life the way you choose instead of having to fit into their routine?
- Did they seem happy to answer all your questions?
If the answer is ‘no’ to any of these questions, think about why this is so. Don’t be afraid to go back to the home care service and ask as many questions as you want.
You can search for home care agencies in your area, to see what types of support they offer, and to see if they have an up-to-date and good inspection report.
Find out about the standard of care you should expect in your home