Help with walking and mobility

Do you have difficulty walking or moving around? This page provides suggestions on how you might overcome this problem so that you can get about more independently and safely.

Walking aids or equipment

Specialist equipment, including walking sticks and walking frames, can enable you to walk more safely, steadily and independently - go to our 'equipment to help you stay safe page' for details of various websites which might be able to help.


Physiotherapists help people affected by injury, illness or disability through movement and exercise, manual therapy, education and advice. They specialise in working with people who are experiencing difficulties with their walking.

After an assessment a physiotherapist may offer one or more of the following:

  • a programme of exercises to help you to become stronger and to improve your walking
  • advice on how you might take a different approach to your walking so that you are safer
  • advice on equipment and aids which might be suitable for you

Physiotherapists may also be able to assist people with severe and chronic pain by recommending exercises and equipment.

How to contact a physiotherapist

Depending on your situation you may be offered the chance to see a physiotherapist following a period of time in hospital, or after seeing a GP or district nurse.

Please speak to your GP or health worker if you think you need the help of a physiotherapist.

The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy also allows you to search for private physiotherapists in your area.

NHS Choices has information about physiotherapy, how to access it privately or through the NHS, and the techniques that a physiotherapist may use to treat you.

Worried about falling?

If you are experiencing problems with walking, have been experiencing falls, or are worried about the risk of falling over, it is worth taking a look at our page on preventing falls.