Council housing repairs

Utility issues and gas safety


What to do if you have a gas leak, total electrics failure or major water leak in your home. 

Gas leak 

If you smell gas call National Grid on 0800 111 999.

You must:

  • open the doors and windows to get rid of the gas 
  • turn off the gas supply and call the National Grid. Make sure you call from outside your home if using a mobile phone
  • check to see if the gas has been left on unlit or if a pilot light has gone out If so turn the appliance off 
  • not turn any electrical switches on or off (this includes doorbells)
  • not smoke, use matches or naked flames

Carbon monoxide 

If your carbon monoxide alarm sounds or you suspect a leak follow the guidance on the National Grid Website.

Electrical issues 

If you have a complete loss of electricity you must first check whether other properties are affected. If yes, call your electricity supplier. 

If your neighbours are not affected then you should check the main fuse box to see if the trip switch has been activated. You can use our DIY guide to reset the trip switch

If you are unable to identify the problem phone our customer contact centre on 020 8547 5003. 

Water leak 

If you have a major water leak you must: 

  • turn off the stop cock, which is usually under the sink but could be in the bathroom, hall or under the stairs 
  • phone our customer contact centre on 020 8547 5003 and make sure you specify where the leak is coming from
  • think about if it could affect the electrical system. If you think it could turn off the electrical installation at the main fuse box 

Gas safety checks

Unsafe gas appliances can produce carbon monoxide (CO) which is a highly poisonous gas. This can cause serious long-term health problems or even death if exposed to it. 

Carbon monoxide is odourless and colourless so you won’t even know it is present in your home. That is why it’s so important that these safety checks are carried out.

If you have gas appliances in your home it is the law that they are checked every year by a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer.

Council tenants

It is a condition of your tenancy agreement that you allow the council access to carry out gas safety checks. 

Axis will contact you by letter when your annual check is coming up to make a convenient appointment with you.

If you fail to provide access to your home, the council can force entry.

The full cost of forcing entry and fitting a replacement door lock at the property would then be recharged to the tenant. Formal action may also be taken for breach of tenancy.

The safety check should not take long and once it’s been done you will have peace of mind that your gas appliances are working safely.


It is your responsibility to make sure you know who is responsible for maintaining the heating and hot water system at your property. This information is included in your lease.

Most leaseholders are responsible, under the terms of their lease, for maintaining their heating and hot water systems. Any repairs to the heating and hot water system must be carried out by a gas-safe qualified engineer.

If you as the leaseholder let your property out then you have the responsibility to ensure an annual Landlord Gas Safety Record Check is carried out each year.

The only exception to this is if your lease says Kingston Council is responsible for the maintenance of your heating and hot water system, in which case you will be contacted in the same way as a council tenant.

Last Modified: 03/04/2024 14:25:41

Housing Contact Centre

You can get in touch with our Contact Centre

Address: Guildhall 2
High Street
Kingston upon Thames

Telephone: 0208 547 5003