Council housing repairs

Repairs for which the council are responsible

We are responsible for maintaining the fabric and structure of your home and any communal areas. These include: 

The structure 

  • the structure of the property for example walls, roofs, joists and beams


  • window frames, window catches and safety devices 
  • external doors and door frames 
  • treatment of damp (other than condensation), rot and woodworm

Window glazing 

  • glazing to communal areas (we may board up or use alternative materials) 
  • glazing to your home where the repair was caused by a defect 
  • or was a result of a crime (in this case we need a crime reference number – without this number you will be recharged) 

Water supply 

  • water and electricity supplies to your home and, where there is an existing gas supply, maintain it 
  • all council owned pipes and waste pipes

Sanitary appliances 

  • baths, basins, sinks, toilets, cisterns, kitchen cupboards and work surfaces (we will clear blockages - however you will be recharged if the cause of the blockage is attributed to you)

Gas appliances 

  • RBK owned and installed gas fittings and appliances such as central heating, water heaters, boilers and fitted fires 

Electrical installations 

  • RBK installed electrical wiring including sockets and switches.

Other internal and external fittings 

  • plaster work to walls and ceilings 
  • drains, gutters, down pipes, chimneys and flues 
  • communal areas such as pathways, estate roads, hallways, communal stairs and lighting, balconies and waste chutes 
  • lifts and fire equipment 
  • door entry equipment 
  • communal television aerials 
  • warden call systems 
  • fencing and gates to communal parts or gardens 
  • external decorations and decorations to communal parts

You must: 

  • notify us when a repair is needed 
  • allow us and our contractors access to your home so that we can carry out repairs, including access to carry out a repair to a neighbouring property. In cases where we need to gain access in an emergency we may need to force access to your home to carry out a repair 
  • allow us and our contractors access to your home to carry out annual gas safety checks and any tests to electrical wiring and installations. Where we are not given access to carry out the annual gas service we will, where necessary, take legal action to enforce access or force entry and charge you the costs for doing so 
  • take steps to ensure that any pipe work in your property does not freeze and make sure any appliances, for example washing machines, are properly connected. Any damage caused to your, or your neighbouring property, will be rectified and the cost recharged to you 
  • get our written permission before carrying out any alterations to RBK’s standard fittings and services such as gas, electric, water and drainage or improvements to your home, for example fitting a new kitchen or bathroom, fitting laminate flooring, installing a new light fitting. Please email for more information regarding this. 

Last Modified: 28/04/2022 15:30:40

Housing Contact Centre

You can get in touch with our Contact Centre

Address: Guildhall 2
High Street
Kingston upon Thames

Telephone: 0208 547 5003