Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator Change cookie preference

Council housing repairs

Repairs for which you are responsible

You are responsible for some repairs within your home and for those where you have caused damage. You must also allow us to carry out repairs and servicing in your home as set out in your tenancy agreement. 

The DIY Guide provides useful information and guidance on how to complete minor repairs in your home.

You must repair the following: 


  • replacing lost keys to your home and gaining access to your home if you lose your keys
  • any lock changes and repairs to the door after a forced entry (should we need to gain entry to your home by force, you will be recharged for repairs to the door and any other associated works) 

Window glazing 

  • re-glazing any windows in your home resulting from accidental damage, misuse or negligence by you or any of your household, guests or pets 
  • We can carry out window glazing for you, but you will be recharged unless you can provide a crime reference number from the police (please note we check all reference numbers given to us with the police) 

Water supply 

  • the maintenance of any water pipe work and fittings installed by you For example, washing machine fittings or showers 

Sanitary appliances 

  • clearing blockages to baths, basins, sinks & toilets. If we can carry out blockage clearances for you but you will be recharged
  • any damages caused by you to any of the sanitary fixtures and fittings within the property (broken wash hand basins, toilet cistern lids or baths, replacing toilet seats)

Fences/gates and garden maintenance

  • fencing, other than where there is a health and safety risk, gates and gate latches, washing lines and clothes posts in your garden 
  • keep gardens tidy, making sure that trees and shrubs do not grow to a size that may affect your neighbours or have an impact on the structure of your home or neighbouring homes, communal housing land or highways

Other internal and external fittings 

  • minor repairs such as bath plugs and chains, pull cords, changing light bulbs and fluorescent tubes
  • any damage caused by you to any fixture fitting, wall etc within the property For example, holes in internal doors, internal door handles etc. 
  • any fixtures and fittings installed by you or a previous tenant 
  • internal decorations, including any minor cracks to plasterwork, adjusting doors to fit over newly installed floor coverings and the fitting of curtain rails 
  • the sweeping of chimneys and flues 


  • You must not carry out works to the electricity supply, wiring or fittings – this must be done by the council’s main contractor. 
  • You must not carry out works to your home’s gas supply (including disconnection and connection of gas cookers and fires) this must be done by a qualified gas safe engineer.
  • You must not carry out works to your home’s heating system – this must be done by the council’s main contractor. 
  • You must not tamper with your home or block front entrance doors – they are fire safety doors.

Last Modified: 13/03/2023 16:30:26

Housing Contact Centre

You can get in touch with our Contact Centre

Address: Guildhall 2
High Street
Kingston upon Thames

Telephone: 0208 547 5003