Apply for an infant, junior or primary school place (during school year)

This page is about in-year applications for a school place.  If your child is due to start school in September 2018, please visit our Apply for an infant, junior or primary school place (September intake) pages.

How to apply for an in-year place

If you have recently moved into the area and need a primary school place for your child, you will need to complete and return the Apply for an in-year primary school place form.

If your child is already in school and you're considering transferring him or her to another school, it could be difficult. Places will have already been allocated and availability will be limited. If you would like your child to transfer to another school, you should:

  • discuss it with the headteacher of your child's current school
  • complete the application form
  • ask the Head Teacher to complete his or her part of the form

A child's education usually benefits most when they have continuity of teaching and learning in the same school. So we need your child's Head Teacher to know your reasons for wanting to transfer your child and have the opportunity to discuss the transfer with you.

You should not withdraw your child from their current school until you have secured a place at an alternative school.