Report an abandoned vehicle
- Use our online report an abandoned vehicle form to tell us about abandoned, untaxed or nuisance vehicles
- Use our emergency out of hours number to tell us about dangerous situations 020 8547 5800
When is a vehicle abandoned and what do we do?
An abandoned vehicle is one that that meets some or all of the following factors;
- Stationary for a significant amount of time
- Damaged or run down
- Burnt out
- Containing waste
We remove abandoned vehicles (cars, vans, motorbikes, caravans but not bikes) from any piece of land (in the open air) or road in the borough. However if a vehicle is taxed, or the owner is known it is unlikely that any action will be taken. You can check to see if a car is taxed here: https://vehicleenquiry.servic
If you report an abandoned vehicle to us we will
- try and inspect the scene with 24 hours and place a notice on the vehicle if it appears to be abandoned
- the notice period varies from 24 hours to 15 days
- if the vehicle is not moved or claimed once the notice period has ended, we issue a destruction order and the vehicle is removed
- we try to remove burnt out vehicles immediately
Vehicles which are causing a physical obstruction to a driveway but are not abandoned can only be dealt with by the Police.
You don't need to dump your car - you can recycle it
It is illegal to dump a vehicle in the street. If you need to get rid of your car you can use the free CarTakeBack scheme.