Report an abandoned vehicle
- Use our online form to tell us about abandoned, untaxed or nuisance vehicles
- Use our emergency out of hours number to tell us about dangerous situations
When is a vehicle abandoned and what do we do?
An abandoned vehicle is one that that meets some or all of the following factors;
- Stationary for a significant amount of time
- Damaged or run down
- Burnt out
- Containing waste
We remove abandoned vehicles (cars, vans, motorbikes, caravans but not bikes) from any piece of land (in the open air) or road in the borough.
If you report an abandoned vehicle to us we will
- try and inspect the scene with 24 hours and place a notice on the vehicle if it appears to be abandoned
- the notice period varies from 24 hours to 15 days
- if the vehicle is not moved or claimed once the notice period has ended, we issue a destruction order and the vehicle is removed
- wet try to remove burnt out vehicles immediately
Vehicles which are causing a physical obstruction to a driveway but are not abandoned can only be dealt with by the Police.
You don't need to dump your car - you can recycle it
It is illegal to dump a vehicle in the street. If you need to get rid of your car you can use the free CarTakeBack scheme.