Discounts and exemptions
Discount for carers
You might qualify for a discount if you care for someone.
You may be able to get a carer’s discount on your Council Tax if you care for:
- an adult you live with who is not your partner or spouse
- 35 hours or more per week
The person you care for receives any of these benefits:
- middle or higher rate of Disability Living Allowance
- daily living or Personal Independence Payment
- Attendance Allowance
- Armed Forces Independence Payment
- highest rate of Constant Attendance Allowance
You do not have to claim Carer’s Allowance to qualify for this discount, and your income and savings will not affect your eligibility.
Help with carers discount
If you qualify as a carer, we can reduce your bill by 25% or 50% depending on how many people aged 18 or over live in your property and if those people are counted for Council Tax purposes.
If all residents:
- are not counted (disregarded), there’s a 50% discount
- except for 1 are not counted (disregarded), there’s a discount of 25%
All carers in the property are eligible if they meet this criteria.
Find out more about who pays Council Tax.
How to apply
Use our general enquiries form to make your claim. You will need to tell us:
- your council tax account number
- your address
- who, aged over 18, lives at the address
- name of the carer(s)
- name of the person being cared for
- in writing that the person you care for is not your spouse or partner
- which benefits listed above the person being cared for receives
- the weekly amounts of those benefits
To be considered for the carer’s discount, you will need to send us a copy of the latest letter showing the benefits the person being cared for receives.