Discounts and exemptions
If you’re between 18 and 20 years old, you may be eligible for a discount on your Council Tax.
If everyone living in the property is under 18, they will not need to pay Council Tax. You must send proof of age for each person living in the property.
People aged 18 and 19 may be able to claim a discount on their Council Tax if:
- they are enrolled on a further education course which lasts more than three months and includes more than 12 hours of study each week
- their parent or guardian can claim Child Benefit for them
- you have left school or college after 30 April, you will be exempt until the following November
- the property is only occupied by school or colleague leavers it will be exempt from Council tax for 6 months
How discounts and exemptions affect your bill
Some people are not counted (disregarded) when working out how many people live in a property. This means you may be able to apply for a discount on your Council Tax bill.
How to apply
Use our general enquiries form to make your claim and share supporting evidence. Tell us:
- your council tax account number
- the names and ages of people under 20 who live in the property
- if they are in education
- If you receive child benefits for the name young adult