Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator Change cookie preference

Discounts and exemptions

Young adults

If you’re between 18 and 20 years old, you may be eligible for a discount on your Council Tax. 

Under 18

If everyone living in the property is under 18, they will not need to pay Council Tax.  You must send proof of age for each person living in the property. 

Under 20

People aged 18 and 19 may be able to claim a discount on their Council Tax if: 

  • they are enrolled on a further education course which lasts more than three months and includes more than 12 hours of study each week 
  • their parent or guardian can claim Child Benefit for them
  • you have left school or college after 30 April, you will be exempt until the following November 
  • the property is only occupied by school or colleague leavers it will be exempt from Council tax for 6 months 

How discounts and exemptions affect your bill

Some people are not counted (disregarded) when working out how many people live in a property. This means you may be able to apply for a discount on your Council Tax bill.

Find out more about who has to pay Council Tax

How to apply 

Use our general enquiries form to make your claim and share supporting evidence. Tell us:

  • your council tax account number
  • the names and ages of people under 20 who live in the property
  • if they are in education
  • If you receive child benefits for the name young adult

Apply now

Last Modified: 30/11/2023 16:20:20