Privacy Notice and Data Protection


Who we are and what we do

The Development Management team handles planning applications and related matters for the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames in its role as the Local Planning Authority. This privacy notice explains how we use information in the course of our work.

This work includes:

  • Making decisions and providing advice on planning applications
  • Responding to allegations of unlawful development
  • Monitoring development
  • Entering legal agreements, serving notices and promoting the best use of land

How we get your information

Applicant information is supplied to us directly (or via a planning agent on their behalf) when an application is submitted. We also receive comments, representations, allegations and questions via email, letter, and via our website.

What we do with your information

To allow us to make decisions on their applications individuals must provide us with some personal data (e.g. name, address, contact details). We use the information provided to us to make decisions about the use of land in the public interest. This is known as a “public task” and is why we do not need you to “opt in” to allow your information to be used.

Some information provided to us we are obliged under the regulations to make available on planning registers. This is a permanent record of our planning decisions that form part of the planning history of a site, along with other facts that form part of the “land search”. This can include comments on planning applications as they form part of the background documents for planning applications, including the name of the person making the comment and their address. All comments submitted on planning applications will be available for public viewing if requested.

In a small number of circumstances individuals may provide us with “special category data” in support of their application (e.g. evidence of medical history).

How we share your information

  • We do not sell your information to other organisations.
  • We do not move your information beyond the UK.
  • We do not use your information for automated decision making.
  • We will make information related to planning applications available online so that people can contribute their comments.
  • We will sometimes need to share the information we have with other parts of the council - for example to establish how long a building has been used as a dwelling.
  • We may send out a follow-up “how did we do?” survey to a sample of people using our service to see how we can improve it.


We operate a policy where we routinely redact the following details before making forms and documents available online:

  • Personal contact details for the applicant - e.g. telephone numbers, email addresses
  • Signatures
  • Special Category Data - e.g. supporting statements that include information about health conditions or ethnic origin
  • Information agreed to be confidential

Sometimes we might decide it is necessary, justified and lawful to disclose data that appears in the list above. In these circumstances we will let you know of our intention before we publish anything.

If you are submitting supporting information which you would like to be treated confidentially or wish to be specifically withheld from the public register, please let us know as soon as you can - ideally in advance of submitting the application. The best way is to contact our Planning and Development Team by filling in our general enquires form


We hold many different types of information for the relevant periods as specified in the Council’s Data Retention policy.

How to contact us

Please contact the Data Protection Officer if you have any questions about our privacy policy or information we hold about you by email

Complaints and problems

Making decisions on planning matters is a public task and you do not have the right to withdraw consent. However, if you think we have got something wrong or there is a reason you would prefer for something to not be disclosed please contact our Planning and Development Team by filling in our general enquires form

If you need to make a complaint specifically about the way we have processed your data you should in the first instance use our corporate complaints policy. If we fail to respond properly you can direct your concerns to the Information Commissioners Office.

Last Modified: 12/04/2024 12:54:53