Adult social care services

The adult social care services team helps people in Kingston to stay safe, well and independent.

Worried about the safety of an adult 

You can report abuse or neglect if you're worried about an adult.

In an emergency, contact 020 8547 5000.

How we help

We will work with you to explore how the council, community groups, and charities can support you and your loved one.

Our adult social care services give information and advice about care and support when daily living has become difficult due to illness, old age, or disability. We give personalised advice, care and support to help you have a good quality of life by becoming or staying independent.  

To do this, we: 

  • give information and advice to make sure your needs are met 
  • look at what you can do 
  • talk to you instead of focusing on strict assessment questions
  • understand what’s important to you, listen to your concerns about what you’ve already tried and consider what we could do next 
  • work with you as the experts in your life and listen carefully to the things that matter to you
  • help you to build on your strengths

Short-term and long-term care

We offer information and advice about short-term care and support, just until you’re better, or for long-term help if you have complex needs. 

Short-term care: 

  • is time-limited 
  • helps people to regain independence, like after an illness or accident 
  • can help delay or avoid long-term support 

Long-term care: 

  • is ongoing 
  • supports people with complex or lasting needs 
  • is delivered in the community or specialist settings like a nursing home

Maintain your independence

There are many things you can do to stay independent. You can access many services without contacting the social care team. 

We encourage you to connect and use your personal and local support networks (like community groups and faith centres) to get advice and support.

Our adult social care teams work closely with organisations and voluntary agencies for you to contact and get the information, advice or support you need.  If you want to find out what help there is in the community, visit Connected Kingston. 

Differences between healthcare and social care 

Healthcare and social care are different and are funded differently. 

Social care 

Social care focuses on helping people to remain independent, stay active and maintain social interaction. 

As a council, we work in partnership with local voluntary, charity, and trusted third parties to provide social care services. If the council provides your care needs, in most instances, you will need to pay some or all of the cost. The cost of your care depends on your financial situation. You will be assessed, also known as means-tested. This is based on your income and how much you have in savings and investments. 

Try our financial contribution calculator to get an estimate of what your care payments might be.


A healthcare need is about treating, managing, controlling, or preventing a disease, illness, injury, or disability and the care or aftercare of a person with these needs.

Healthcare is generally provided free under the NHS. Some social care may occasionally be paid for by the NHS if it meets the criteria of NHS Continuing Healthcare

Meeting care standards

We provide adult social care to the standards set out by The Care Quality Commission (CQC) and the Department of Health

The CQC is the social care regulator for England. It aims to ensure better care for everyone in a hospital, care home, or anyone receiving care at home. 

Find information on the quality and safety standards you should expect from social care.

The Department of Health sets standards for social care, and the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities sets standards for housing-related support.

Eligibility for social care

If you need extra help but are unsure where to begin, you can use our care needs checklist. It will let you know if you’re likely to receive funded care and will direct you to services provided by our partners.  

Care needs assessment 

Learn about care needs assessments. 

Making a referral as a professional

If you’re a professional, find the form you need to make your referral.



Last Modified: 26/03/2024 11:03:46

Adult Social Care

Address: Adult Social Care
Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames
Guildhall 2

Telephone: 0208 547 5005