Hate crime

How to Report a Hate Crime or Incident

Is it an emergency?

Is somebody in immediate danger? Is the situation violent, or likely to become violent? Do you need urgent support? If so, please call 999 now.

If you're deaf or hard of hearing, use the MPS textphone service 18000 or text the MPS on 999 if you’ve pre-registered with the emergency NGT service.

What to report

You can report anything you believe was motivated by hostility based on someone’s personal characteristics or perceived characteristics. This could include violence, verbal abuse, harassment, damage to property, bullying or graffiti.

You can use an easy read form to help you make a report. This form will download from the True Vision website and may not be suitable for use with screen readers.

Who can report

It is important to report hate incidents and hate crimes if you are a victim or a witness. It is normal to have mixed feelings about making a report. You can report in the way which is easiest for you and you can choose to remain anonymous.

You do not need to report a crime or incident to receive support if you have been affected.

Where to report

Depending on where the incident takes place, you may choose to report in different ways.

Metropolitan Police Service

Report to the Police online

  • Call 101
  • Visit your local Police Station
  • In an emergency, always call 999

The Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames has dedicated police officers who deal specifically with hate crimes. These officers have the experience and understanding to help victims from any background and with any protected characteristic.

Third Party Reporting - Kingston Race and Equalities Council (KREC)

If you don't want to report the incident to the police you can report it to KREC. KREC offers free advice, support, counselling, advocacy and mediation service to victims of hate crime and hate incidents.

A witness of a hate crime or incident can also take positive action by reporting it.

To contact KREC, call 020 8547 2332 or drop in from 10.00am to 5.00pm to KREC, 3rd Floor, Neville House, 55 Eden Street, Kingston Kt1 1BW. You can also report a Hate Crime through their website , send an email or DM on Twitter @krec2016 or @kingstonREC

British Transport Police

If you are on public transport or in a train station, it is best to make a report to the British Transport Police. They can use CCTV and specialist staff to respond to the incident. In an emergency, call 999. If it is not an emergency, you can call 0800 40 50 40 or text 61016. In the text message, report WHAT happened, WHEN and WHERE.


If you do not want to talk to the police, you can report a hate crime by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555111. It is free to call. You can also report online. You do not have to give your name if you don’t want to and what you say is confidential. 

True Vision 

Visit the True Vision website for information on reporting or for help making a report online. Your report will be passed on to the relevant police team.   

Kingston Council Housing

If you are an RBK tenant or have been a victim of a hate crime or incident involving someone in an RBK property, please contact your Resident Services Officer using the email or phone contact details they have provided, by calling in at Tadlow, Washington Road, KT1 3JL during office hours or  by using the online contact form.

Members of staff

If an incident happens on business premises, make a member of staff aware of what has happened. They can make a record and may be able to offer support and assist any investigation into the incident if you choose to make a report.

Other ways to report

If you need assistance making a report or any other support, there are local and national services available to help. Some of these may be able to make a report on your behalf.

You can use an easy read form to help you or someone else make a report. This form will download from the True Vision website and may not be suitable for use with screen readers.

What happens when you make a report?

When you make a report, you should be told what the next steps will be and when you will receive a response. 

If you give your name and other information, the incident can be fully investigated. If you choose to remain anonymous, your report will still be used for monitoring and to help services understand hate crime in the local area.

You can get help with reporting and receive other support whether or not you choose to report an incident by contacting support services.

Last Modified: 12/05/2021 13:01:18