Pay for care at home

Care in your home

To get help with care and support costs, you’ll need to have a care needs assessment first.

Types of social care and support include:

  • help at home from a paid carer
  • making adaptations to your home
  • gadgets and equipment to help with daily tasks
  • personal alarms so you can call for help if you need it
  • different types of housing such as supported living and care homes

Read about care and support at home

How it works

Social care is not free but you may get help to pay for it. The amount you will have to pay depends on the type of help you need and the savings and income that you have.

See examples of what people pay towards their care and support costs

If you’re worried about the cost of your care, you can have a financial assessment. It works out how much you can afford to pay towards the cost of your care.

Check if you qualify

To find out if you’re likely to qualify for help to pay for your care, use our online calculator.

You will not qualify for council-funded social care if you have savings or investments of more than £23,250. You will need to self-fund your care. 

When you do not pay anything

Most people will have to pay something towards the cost of their care, but you may not pay anything at all if you: 

  • need reablement services 
  • are receiving care under Section 117 of the Mental Health Act 1983
  • have Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD)
  • qualify for full NHS Continuing Health Care Funding

Last Modified: 14/05/2024 14:46:45