Community Grants Programme

Councillor Ward Funding

The Councillor Ward Funding Scheme was first introduced in 2016/17 aimed at providing local Councillors with the ability to support the award of flexible, small and timely funds for local initiatives within their Ward. The scheme provides increased opportunities to improve levels of engagement and influence at a very local street-based level addressing the 'here and now' issues. Ideally, projects/activities should enable communities to help themselves and lead on delivering local solutions. Overall the funding should enhance the social, economic or environmental well being of the Ward community and residents quality of life. 

If you are interested in applying for Councillor Ward Funding then you should contact your ward councillor. Find your local councillor contact details.. The budget for 2024/2025 has been agreed and Ward Funding remains at £2,000 allocation per Councillor. The Neighbourhood Committees may agree to pool or divide the fund and the Council's Neighbourhood Committee's have each agreed their own processes for the award of Councillor Ward Funding. 

In Kingston and North Kingston, New and Old Malden and in neighbourhoods South of the Borough, each Councillor allocates £2,000 individually. Supported schemes/activities to be identified and approved with funding allocated by Ward Councillor ideally between April and October and by no later than January. Any funds unallocated by 1st January may be declared available for redistribution by the Neighbourhood Committee.

In Surbiton the Neighbourhood Committee has agreed to pool the entire Councillor Ward Funding budget so that it can, if it chooses, allocate larger amounts to individual projects. The process will be the same as the individual scheme as outlined above but the allocation will be subject to the allocations also being reported to the appropriate Neighbourhood Committee for consideration and approval. You can find the dates of all future Surbiton Neighbourhood Committee meetings.

If you would like any further information or advice, please email:

If you would like to apply for Councillor Ward Funding, please contact your local councillor. Find your local councillor contact details.

Last Modified: 04/06/2024 12:25:49