Local Code of Governance
Each year we commit to meeting the standards set out in our Local Code of Governance. The seven standards of the Local Code of Governance are:
- Behaving with integrity, demonstrating strong commitment to ethical values, and respecting the rule of law.
- Ensuring openness and comprehensive stakeholder engagement.
- Defining outcomes in terms of sustainable economic, social, and environmental benefits.
- Determining the interventions necessary to optimise the achievement of the intended outcomes.
- Developing the entity’s capacity, including the capability of its leadership and the individuals within it.
- Managing risks and performance through robust internal control and strong public financial management.
- Implementing good practices in transparency, reporting, and audit to deliver effective accountability.
The code encompasses the culture and values, and the systems and processes by which we lead the Kingston community. It enables us to monitor the achievement of our objectives, as set out in Destination Kingston and the Kingston Plan, and to consider whether these plans have led to the delivery of appropriate and cost effective services for residents.
Our governance structure is responsible for delivering and maintaining good governance across the Council.