Guidelines for paper and epetitions
- a clear short statement covering the subject of the petition - it should say what action the petitioners wish the Council to take
- the name, address and signature of each person supporting the petition
- contact details for the petition organiser - this is the person we will contact to explain how we will respond to the petition
Petitions will not be accepted if they are:
- the same or similar to one already considered in the past six months
- considered to be vexatious or abusive
- considered to be inappropriate, eg those relating to matters which are part of ongoing legal proceedings or those which target individual members of a community
In the period immediately before an election or referendum it may also be inappropriate to deal with certain petition issues.
The Head of Corporate Governance will decide whether a petition can be accepted.
If a petition does not follow these guidelines, we may decide not to do anything further with it. In that case we will write to you to explain the reasons.
If you would like to view the guidelines in more detail please read the Council's Petitions Scheme.