Guidelines for paper and epetitions
- a clear short statement covering the subject of the petition - it should say what action the petitioners wish the Council to take
- the name, address and signature of each person supporting the petition
- contact details for the petition organiser - this is the person we will contact to explain how we will respond to the petition
Petitions will not be accepted if they are:
- the same or similar to one already considered in the past six months
- considered to be vexatious or abusive
- considered to be inappropriate, eg those relating to matters which are part of ongoing legal proceedings or those which target individual members of a community
In the period immediately before an election or referendum it may also be inappropriate to deal with certain petition issues.
The Head of Corporate Governance will decide whether a petition can be accepted.
If a petition does not follow these guidelines, we may decide not to do anything further with it. In that case we will write to you to explain the reasons.