If you are interested in building your own home in the borough you should consider applying to join the self-build housing register. The register helps us plan for future housing and land use.
To be included on the register you must be:
- 18 or older
- a British citizen, a national of an EEA country (other than the United Kingdom), or a national of Switzerland
- and seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land within the borough to build a house to occupy as your sole or main residence
When applying to join the register you need to tell us if you're applying as:
- an individual, or
- an association of individuals (this can include any group of people, eg couples or two or more member of the same household)
What information we hold on the register
For entries on the self-build register for individuals, we must record the name and address of the individual on the register.
For entries on the register for associations of individuals, we must record the following information on the register:
- the name and address of the association
- the name and address (if different from that of the association) of the lead contact
- the number of serviced plots of land in the relevant authority’s area the members of the association are seeking to acquire
The contents of this register will not be made public under any circumstances.
If at point you would like to be removed from the self-build housing register, please send an email to: [email protected]
What we use the register for
This register will form part of the our evidence base and help us understand the level of demand for self-build and custom-build houses, which will assist in the preparation and implementation of planning policies.
It will inform the our planning, housing, land disposal and regeneration functions.
Please note that entry on the register will not guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified or come available. Subsequent applications for self-build and custom-build projects will require planning permission and will be assessed on their merits in line with the our Local Plan policies and guidance.
If you would like to be notified about strategic planning in the borough, including updates on self-build housing in the borough, please visit the stay informed webpage.