Feedback, complaints and compliments

Tell us about a problem for the first time

If you encounter a problem, we recommend contacting the appropriate service first. They can often resolve the issue without needing to escalate it to a formal complaint. If you’re unsure how to reach the service, check the contact us page on our website or search for the specific topic you are unhappy about. 

If the issue remains unresolved, you can make a formal complaint.

How to Make a Complaint

Complaints can be made in any format including:

Some complaints may not be considered as they fall outside the Council’s remit or are treated differently. If you are not sure, you can contact the Customer Care team for clarification or see the list below (this is not exhaustive).

The Corporate Complaints Process

Stage one

  • complaints will be acknowledged within 5 working days, this will include a reference number and a due date. The relevant team will investigate your complaint and send you a response within 15 working days. If more time is needed they will let you know why.

In a small number of cases, the council may use its discretion to confirm its final position within the stage one response. These responses will be in the minority and will only be in cases where an escalation would not be in the best interests of either the complainant and/or the council. When this happens complainants will be informed of their rights to refer the complaint to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman or the Housing Ombudsman Service.

Stage two 

  • if you’re unsatisfied with the response to your stage one complaint, you should contact the customer care team within 28 working days of the date of the response and explain what aspects of the complaint you are dissatisfied with. 
  • stage two reviews the investigation from stage one to ensure it was thorough and fair. It doesn't re-investigate the complaint. Complaints at this stage are acknowledged within 5 working days to a senior manager, this will include a reference number and a due date.

It will be allocated by the customer care team to a senior manager within the service area or if appropriate, to an independent senior manager within the relevant service area. A response should be sent within 15 working days however, if there is delay, or a requirement for an extension of time, the investigating manager will make contact with you directly.

Further Steps

  • The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman: if you are still unhappy with the council’s final response, you may wish to contact the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman.

Find out more Local Government Ombudsman and Social Care Ombudsman

  • The Housing Ombudsman Service: if your complaint was regarding the council as a landlord, you can contact the Housing Ombudsman. Find out more on their website: Housing Ombudsman
  • Children's Social services: find information on how to make a complaint about Children's Social Services

Additional Resources

Find out further information on our policies and procedures:


Annex 1 - Housing Ombudsman Self Assessment 2024.pdf 

Last Modified: 25/06/2024 10:43:02

Customer Care team

Address: Guildhall 2
High Street

Telephone: 0208 547 5000