Food hygiene

Tell us about food hygiene issues

If you have concerns about a food business (pub, restaurant, cafe, shop etc) within the borough, you can tell us about:

  • a complaint about food hygiene
  • a complaint about food you have purchased
  • an incident of food poisoning

Please report this to us via We can only deal with concerns about food businesses that are within the borough.

If the food business is outside of the borough, or you do not know which borough the food business is within, the Food Standards Agency (FSA) website can help you find the local authority to contact.

Food hygiene rating scheme

The food hygiene rating scheme provides information about the hygiene standards in:

  • restaurants
  • pubs
  • cafes
  • takeaways
  • hotels
  • supermarkets
  • and other places you eat or buy food

The scheme helps you to see who upholds good food hygiene standards. The scheme is run by local authorities in partnership with the Food Standards Agency (FSA). When our food safety officers inspect a business we give it a 'hygiene rating'. The hygiene rating shows how closely the business is meeting the requirements of food hygiene law.

You can find out more on the Food Standard Agencies website where you can search for hygiene ratings in the borough.

Last Modified: 10/10/2020 14:11:18

Environmental health

Address: Guildhall 2
High street