Free school meals
Is my child eligible for free school meals?
- Nursery aged children eligible for free school meals must be receiving education before and after lunch to be entitled to free school meals.
- All children in key stage 1 are entitled to a free meal, however if you are in receipt of any of the below benefits, please do apply for free school meals, as this will generate additional funding for your child's school
Children in junior and senior school – year 3 to year 11
Your child could be eligible for free school meals if you or your partner receive a qualifying benefit.
- income support
- income-based job seeker's allowance
- income-related employment and support allowance
- the guarantee element of state pension credit
- support under part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- child tax credit (but not working tax credit) and have an annual income of less than £16,190
- working tax credit run-on – paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for working tax credit
- Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
If you do not receive the above benefits please contact your school to apply.
Before you apply
- If your child attends any of the following schools, you need to contact the school directly to apply for free school meals. Bedelsford, Tiffin Boys', Holy Cross Convent, Richard Challoner, St Luke's CoE Primary.
- We do not process applications for private pre-schools or colleges.
- If you dont see your child's school on the drop down list, then please contact the school directly as we do not process their applications.
After you apply
Once you have applied we will assess your application.
- If entilted we will let you and the school know and the entitlement will start straight away.
- On some occasions, we may need to contact you for further information to assess your application.
How long will my child get free school meals?
If entitled your child will get free school meals until March 2022, regardless of any changes to you or your partner's income.
After March 2022, existing children who no longer meet the eligibility criteria at that point will continue to receive free school meals until the end of their current phase of education, i.e. primary or secondary.