Planning policy and guidance

We make decisions on planning applications by checking them against our planning policy framework. It helps to protect our borough’s natural beauty, heritage and communities. Your planning application should be designed with these policies in mind.

Development plan

The development plan is a collection of policies that sets out the vision for Kingston’s development and includes:

For homeowners

You should check and consider all Kingston’s planning policy before you start your application.

For initial guidance, you can check the Residential Design SPD for information that may affect householder planning applications.

Conservation and listed buildings

Conservation protects areas of special architectural and historic interest to make sure that their unique character can be preserved or enhanced. If you live in a conservation area or listed building, you should read our heritage and conservation policies before you make an application.

There are special planning controls and policies in conservation areas and for listed buildings. This means that certain types of work need our approval when normally they wouldn't.

Some conservation areas have detailed background information and associated special studies that need to be taken into account as part of your planning application. You may also need to apply for other types of consent such as listed building consent or scheduled monument consent.

It is important to check if your property is a heritage asset, or if there are any heritage assets nearby that may be affected by your proposals.

Check if you live in a conservation area

Check if a building is listed

Article 4 directions

Article 4 directions are currently in place to protect our town centres and key employment areas in the borough.

If your project wouldn’t usually need planning permission because it's classed as permitted development, a planning application will need to be submitted if an Article 4 direction is in place. You can download a list of the areas within the Article 4 Direction.

Works to trees

If your project will affect any trees, you’ll need to check if there is a tree preservation order (TPO) in place. If your project affects trees in a conservation area, you’ll need to apply for permission for this work. Get information about protected trees.

Householders in flood risk zones

This guidance is for domestic extensions; and non-domestic extensions where the additional footprint created by the development does not exceed 250 square metres. It should NOT be applied if an additional dwelling is being created. Householders in flood risk zones form

Last Modified: 12/04/2024 16:18:11