Play streets

Play Streets proudly sponsored by RJ Dance
Play Streets in Kingston are proudly Sponsored by RJ Dance

Play streets are regular road closures to enable children to play safely in the street where they live, helping build community cohesion and a sense of place. The closures can last for up to three hours, starting at a fixed time and day on a weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis.

There is currently no charge for holding a play street within the borough providing these events are for neighbours and residents only. There is a different process for organising larger public events.

If you would like your play street please send an initial play street enquiry as soon as possible, ideally 8 weeks before you want to hold your first play street. 

Useful guidance and information for residents considering play streets is available at the Playing Out (external website)  and on (external website)

Applying to host a play street 

  • you will need to complete our initial play street enquiry to host a play street event. You will be asked to include evidence of at least 75% support from neighbours who will be affected by the closure road. 

  • your enquiry will be reviewed and we will send advice and guidance on your next steps

  • we will then issue you with a confirmation letter and a copy of the temporary traffic regulation order (TTRO) for the road closure

  • you will need to renew your play streets application once a year to continue to hold your road closure

Frequently asked questions about play streets

Do I need insurance?  

Whilst not compulsory, we strongly recommend that you purchase public liability insurance cover for a play street. For further advice visit the Street Party Site (external link), and  London Play (external link) . The costs can always be split between residents, or you could hold a raffle or ask for donations to cover the costs.

The Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames will not be held responsible for any damage to property, or injury to any person arising from or in connection with the street party, or other event.

Do I need to do a risk assessment?

It’s a good idea to do a risk assessment. A template is available at the Playing Out website (external link).

Who do I need to consult? 

We can provide guidance if required. We recommend you consult with all households that would be affected by the road closure, including those houses outside of the immediate footprint. The evidence you collect needs to provide the name, signature, address and comments from each neighbour. 

We understand that not every household welcomes the idea of a playstreet, we encourage communities to discuss any concerns, think of practical solutions and resolve between neighbours but the council can help mediate.  

How long does it take to process an application?

We aim to process applications as quickly as possible, but please allow at least 8 weeks notice.

Do I need to clean up afterwards?

Yes, you will need to clean up after your play street. Let people know in advance what time the play street will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling. Take your rubbish and recycling home. If you have too much recycling to store at home, you can take it to the Household Reuse and Recycling Centre (HRRC) off Villiers Road. Please do not leave bin bags on the streets as this may attract foxes and vermin.

Last Modified: 17/10/2023 09:06:05