Personal Licences

A personal licence is a portable licence issued to an individual which allows them to authorise sales of alcohol from premises that hold a premises licence.

A personal licence:

  • is granted to an individual
  • has effect indefinitely
  • ceases to have effect if surrendered, suspended or revoked; or if the holder may no longer work lawfully in the UK and
  • can be used anywhere in England and Wales


Before you can apply for a personal licence, you will first need to complete a qualification known as the Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH).

The Government maintains a list of awarding bodies who issue this qualification.

You will need to contact the qualification providers directly for details of their course and local training centres.

How to apply

We can only accept your application if you live in Kingston upon Thames. You must also be able to prove (with copies of official government-issued documents) that you have the legal right to work in the UK. To apply for a personal licence, you you will need to:

  • complete the application form and send it to Licensing Team and pay the application fee

you will need to enclose

  • two passport photos, one of which has been endorsed (by a solicitor, notary, a person of standing in the community or an individual with a professional qualification) with a statement that the photo is a true likeness of the applicant
  • the original certificate issued after passing the accredited training course
  • a completed 'disclosure of convictions, immigration penalties and declaration' form (included with the application form)
  • a criminal record certificate, such as a Basic Disclosure, issued within the last month
  • copies of documents proving that you have the right to work in the UK (please do not send originals). 

If you satisfy all the criteria, we will issue a personal licence, usually within 10 working days of receiving your application.

If you have any unspent convictions for relevant or foreign offences, or have had to pay a civil immigration penalty, or if your right to work in the UK is unclear, we will consult with the police or the Home Office, as applicable. If they object to your application, it will be determined by our Licensing Sub-Committee at a hearing.


Licence Cost
Application for Personal Licence


Notification of change in name and/or address or loss of licence


Convictions and immigration penalties

When applying for a licence, you must declare any unspent convictions for relevant offences and foreign offences (any equivalent offences committed outside of England and Wales). You must also declare if you have been required to pay a civil immigration penalty. In the circumstances, we will consult the police and/or the Home Office about your application.

People who hold personal licences are also required to notify the licensing authority if they are subsequently convicted of any relevant offence or foreign offence, or required to pay an immigration penalty. Personal licence holders who are charged with a relevant offence must tell the court that they hold a personal licence before the end of their first court appearance. If convicted, the court may decide to order the forfeiture or suspension of the licence as part of the sentence, and the licensing authority may also review that personal licence with a view to revocation or suspension.

Change of name or address

You must notify the authority in writing if you change your name and/or address. You will need to complete the notification of change form and enclose your original licence (both the photo ID card and paper copy) and the required fee. You can pay the fee by cheque or postal order made payable to Kingston Council, or over the telephone by debit or credit card by calling 0208 547 5080.

Please note that when notifying us of a change in name you must enclose proof of the change, such as a copy of your marriage or deed poll certificate.

If your licence is lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed

You must notify the authority in writing if your licence is lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed. You will need to enclose your original licence (both the photo ID card and paper copy where possible) and the required fee. 

Duration and renewals

Personal licences are valid for life, and do not need to be renewed. They will cease to be valid in the following circumstances:

  • if the holder dies
  • if the holder no longer has a legal right to work in the UK
  • if the licence is surrendered by the holder (for example, if they no longer work in the licensed trade and return the licence to us)
  • if we revoke the licence, due to the holder being convicted of a relevant offence or having to pay a civil immigration penalty
  • if a court orders the forfeiture of the licence, as part of a sentence following conviction for a relevant offence.

Last Modified: 17/12/2020 18:59:18


Address: Guildhall 2
High Street
Kingston upon Thames

Telephone: 0208 547 5080