What's happening and when?
Works are underway to complete the Kingston Station project. This comprises the construction of the new Cycle Hub and the completion of the access points on either side of the new pedestrian and cycle bridge that was installed in March 2019.
- On the west side of the new bridge, works around the railway abutment will provide gradual ramps for cyclists and disabled access in addition to a stairway.
- On the east side of the new bridge, the new Cycle Hub will be constructed in the area between the bridge and the Kingston station building. The design of the Cycle Hub includes space to securely store up to 450 bikes.
The pedestrian and cycle bridge will become accessible after the Cycle Hub construction works are completed in 2020.
The new pedestrian and cycle bridge was successfully installed over the weekend of 23-24 March 2019.
Different components of the scheme will be completed at different times and we will update this page with more information about our works.
- The new two-way cycle lane on Richmond Road is open.
- Cycle hoops outside the Rotunda and Tesco have been re-instated. More cycle racks are available in the temporary cycle parking area (next to Pret A Manger). The temporary bike parking facility is covered by CCTV and has room for 40 bikes.
- The temporary cycle area has been created to enable works to continue in preparation for the future new pedestrian and cycle footbridge and new cycle hub with 250 spaces.
Other construction progress
Completion of the crossings and pedestrian areas completed over Summer 2018.
Watch 10 weeks transformation captured in this 2-minute time-lapse video
Construction works on the Wood Street carriageway outside Kingston station was completed in January 2018.
The following time-lapse shows a month of work in just over a minute.
The footbridge next to Kingston Station was successfully removed in April 2018. The works involved a complex operation to safely cut, lift and remove the bridge in separate sections, as shown in the time-lapse video below..