Voice of Carers in Kingston
There are a range of local organisations that support and provide information and advice for carers. However, until now there has been no over-arching body representing all carers and their collective needs. The Voice of Carers in Kingston forum aims to change this.
This forum for carers of people living in the borough is looking for more carers to get involved. The forum aims to enable carers to have a stronger voice in shaping and developing local services and support for them and the people they care for. Anyone caring for a relative or friend in the borough is welcome to come along to find what other carers feel are the priorities and to have their say.
Join in and help shape change.
This forum is for anyone over the age of 18 who cares for a relative or friend living in the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames. The Young Carers' Project, based within Kingston Carers' Network supports carers under the age of 18 and will raise any issues on their behalf as needed.
Aims of the carers' forum
- Provide a place for carers to raise concerns and ideas relating to caring in Kingston and decide how those concerns and ideas will be raised and with whom
- Be used as a resource for statutory services to consult carers when reviewing local provision and service development
- Campaign for carers rights, recognition and improving local services
- Share information about local and national policies affecting carers
- Describe examples of good practice that could improve services and support for other carers in the borough
Things carers have said that are important to address:
- Health and well being – including carers own mental health
- Changes to the services and support for the people they care for
- Reduced funds for statutory and voluntary organisations and what this means for carers
- Recognition from health and social care staff about the role of carers, to be respected and treated as partners in the care provided
- Appropriate and flexible ways for carers to take breaks
- Getting / staying in employment
- Financial matters
Join in and make a difference
We know that not all carers can or want to come along to meetings, but we are keen for as many carers to be a part of the forum as possible. If you have an issue to raise or comment to make, but cannot attend the meetings, please let us know and we will represent you at the next meeting.
For more information or to have your say, contact us or the Director of Kingston Carers by email - [email protected].
Notes of previous Voice of Carers in Kingston meetings can be found on the Kingston Carers' Network website.