Become a professional cyclist instructor
We are the only London borough recognised as an instructor training organisation (ITO). Operating since 2007, we have trained more than 300 instructors for local authorities and independent providers. Whether you would like to make cyclist training your full-time job or you just want to pass on some skills at your local school or youth club, undertaking the National Standard Instructor training is the first step.
Step 1 - four day course
The course covers all aspects of cycle training with reference to the National Standard outcomes and risk management. Participants receive provisional accreditation. The course includes:
- four day course with two qualified instructor trainers
- course materials (workbook, manual and model documentation)
- registration on the National Database
Step 2 - post-course assessment (PCA) within six months of your course
The PCA gives you full accreditation while we observe you working with real trainees where you work.
- usually takes place over two sessions
- we support you and agree on targets for your final evaluation
Courses are run regularly within the borough, according to demand. To find out more, please use the booking form link in the right hand column, or contact the cycling team.
- from £300 per person excluding post-course assessment (PCA), at our centre in New Malden
- we can run group courses at your location - contact us for details
- post-course assessment from £100
We charge additional traveling costs as required for delivering courses or sessions beyond a 5 mile radius of Kingston.
It is a requirement for cyclist instructors to receive a minimum of three hours continuous professional development (CPD) per year. We provide the following courses:
- on the job mentoring
- level 1 and level 2 refresher
- level 3 refresher
- managing groups on the road
- from £35 per person per half day