Anybody that lives, works or studies in the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames can be loaned a bike for one month, free of charge. Youll also be loaned a helmet, lock and lights so that youll have what you need to get cycling.
There's no limit on use – for the month of your free bike loan we want you to use it as much as possible and wherever possible to experience how cycling can fit into your lifestyle.
If you're a complete beginner or haven’t cycled for a while and want to give it a try without the barrier of buying a new bike, then sign up for the scheme. We can also offer cycle training (on a one to one basis) and bike maintenance courses to get you on your way.
At the end of the month, return the bike so that we can loan it to other participants, or buy it to keep at a reduced price. You can spread the cost of purchase with three payment instalments over three months. For more information, see our Go Cycle bike loan guide.
Sign up for the bike loan scheme
We have a range of mens, womens and folding bikes in various sizes. The bikes are suitable for riding on roads and firm tracks, for commuting and leisure. The folding bikes can be taken on trains, buses and the tube.
To sign up:
- register for the scheme by filling out the online bike loan application form
- when a bike is ready we will email you an invitation to make an appointment
- your bike can be picked up from Guildhall 2, Kingston, KT1 1EU
- please bring along ID, proof of address and £50 deposit (cash or cheque).
A week before your bike is due, we will email a reminder to make an appointment to return the bike.
- “I never cycled at all, but now I cycle every day to and from work”
- “I now have my own bike which I use to cycle to work. Before the scheme I was not cycling at all as I thought it might be too far”
- “Taking part in this scheme has rekindled my love of bike riding. I am planning to buy a new bicycle and will become a more active cyclist as a result of taking part in this scheme”
- “I think the scheme is great and I think the staff involved are very professional and really patient with dealing with novice cyclists”