Child employment and performing

Working with children


With the safety of the children performing or in employment being paramount, to prevent the spread of Covid 19 and to adhere to the Government ‘Social Distancing’ guidance and avoiding all non essential travel, Kingston Council are putting a hold on the issuing of Licenses for Children in Entertainment , Work Permits and Chaperone Applications until further notice.  

Minimum ages children can work

GOV.UK describes the ages that children can work part time and full time. In summary: 

  • children involved in areas like: television, theatre, modelling can work from any age, but need a performance licence to do so
  • children involved in other work, can work part time from age 13
  • children can only start full-time work once they've reached the minimum school leaving age - they can then work up to a maximum of 40 hours a week

Permits and licences needed 



  • businesses must apply for a child employment permit if they intend to employ 13 to 16 year olds to work in the borough
  • a permit is for a specific job and can't be transferred
  • children don't need a work permit for work experience arranged by their school

Tell us if you're worried about child employment

If you're worried about your child's employment or a company or organisation that employs children, you can tell us your concerns.