Feedback and complaints

Complaints procedure

Due to the effect of the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID 19) precautions, we may not be able to stay within our usual timelines for responding to complaints but will respond when we are able to. Resources and services will be prioritised to ensure essential services continue to be delivered. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Make a complaint or give us some feedback 

You can use our online complaints and feedback form to let us know if you are unhappy with something we have or haven't done.  

The definition of a complaint is: an expression of dissatisfaction, however made, about the standard of service, actions or lack of action by the organisation, its own staff, or those acting on its behalf, affecting an individual resident or group of residents. 

We have a formal two-stage procedure for resolving complaints.  You will know at each stage who is dealing with your complaint and the steps we are taking to investigate your case and resolve the problem.

We will normally only consider complaints about things which happened within the past 12 months. However, in some cases we may be able to consider complaints outside of this period

Stage One

You should tell a member of staff or the manager responsible for the service as soon as you can and they will see if they can sort it out.

We aim to respond to you within 15 working days.  If we cannot reply within this time, we will let you know.

If you are not happy with our response, tell us.  We will listen to your concerns and, if appropriate, take your complaint to the second stage.

Some complaints (for example, those about planning applications, school admission appeals, parking tickets and adult and children’s social care) may be investigated by separate government procedures.

Stage Two - Review

If you remain dissatisfied with the response to your stage 1, please contact us within 28 days and request a stage 2 review. You will need to state the issues you remain dissatisfied with and the outcome you are seeking. This request will then be reviewed by the Customer Care service.

This means that a senior council officer who has not been involved in your case before will reconsider your complaint and will send you a response within 15 working days or tell you if it will take longer and let you know when you can expect a full reply.

The Local Government Ombudsman 

If you are still not happy with our response at stage two, you can contact the Local Government Ombudsman. The Ombudsman will consider any complaint you have made and give you their views.

The Ombudsman usually suggests that you use the Council’s complaints procedure first and will only investigate complaints that are considered to be about maladministration — that is, inefficient or unfair administration.

Find out more on their website:

Housing Ombudsman 

If your complaint is specifically about social housing you need to contact the Housing Ombudsman. Find out more on their website: Housing Ombudsman

Adult Social Care 

If you would like to report a concern specifically about the quality of your care, please visit our Worried about the Quality of your Care page and fill out the Public Concerns form.