Housing Services Changes

COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and your money

We want to make sure all our residents get the help and support they need during this time. If you have to take time off work because of COVID-19 (Coronavirus), there are a number of support measures in place. Support is available if:

  • You are facing a drop in income because your employer has had to temporarily lay you off or you are taking an unpaid leave of absence or furlough.
  • You are self-employed or working in the gig economy.
  • You have to take time off from work because you are ill or caring for people self-isolating in the same household and therefore have been advised to do a household quarantine.

Help with money management (budgeting)

We can: 

  • Help with money management (budgeting and planning ahead).
  • Help you understand what you’re entitled to.
  • Help with making online claims for Universal Credit.
  • Give council tax support.
  • Give advice about saving money on household bills.
  • Help you find free debt advice with the Debt Advice Locator.

Useful information

  • If you have any concerns about your health please contact the NHS on 111.nhs.uk or by dialling 111 on your phone.
  • Need to claim Universal Credit but have COVID-19 (Coronavirus) or are self-isolating? You will now be able to claim and to access advance payments upfront without needing to attend a Jobcentre Plus. 
  • Think you are entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) and self-isolating because of COVID-19 (Coronavirus)? This includes individuals who are caring for people self-isolating in the same household and therefore have been advised to do a household quarantine. To check your sick pay entitlement, you should talk to your employer, and view government information on Statutory Sick Pay for more information.
  • Not eligible for SSP — for example, if you are self-employed — and you have COVID-19 (Coronavirus) or are advised to self-isolate? You can now more easily make a claim for Universal Credit or Employment and Support Allowance. Information at www.gov.uk/universal-credit and www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance.

Council phone lines are open 9 am – 5 pm

  • COVID-19 (Coronavirus) enquiries (and other urgent general enquiries) — 020 8547 5000
  • Housing (Homelessness) — 020 8547 5003
  • Revenues and Benefits — 020 8547 5007
  • Adult Social Care — 020 8547 5005
  • Achieving for Children — 020 8547 5008
  • Out of hours emergencies — 020 8547 5000
  • Jobcentre Plus (general enquiries) — 020 8914 7001
  • Jobcentre Plus (Universal Credit) — 0800 328 5644