Correct a death certificate

A correction can only be made when the information on the certificate is wrong (eg mistake made in a date of a death). There is a fee for this service.

You should contact the register office for the area where the death was registered to find out if it is a mistake they can correct. Alternatively, you can contact the General Register Office (GRO) on 0300 123 1837 who can also confirm where your application needs to be sent.

Applying for a correction

Please visit 'Correcting a death registration' on GOV.UK to find out:

  • what corrections can be made
  • who can apply
  • how to apply
  • how much it costs
  • how long an application takes

Deaths registered following a coroner's inquest 

The guidance at GOV.UK will not apply if you want to correct a death registration which was originally registered following a Coroner’s Inquest. For advice on how to apply for a correction where there has been an inquest, you should contact the register office in the area where the death occurred.