Registering a birth

You must register the birth of your baby within 42 days.

If your baby was born in the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames, the birth must be registered with Kingston Register Office. If it is not convenient for you to come to the Kingston Register Office, you can go to any other register office and give the details by declaration. The birth certificate will then be sent to you by post a few days later.

Book an appointment 

You can book an appointment to register a birth online. Appointments are available from Monday to Friday, 9am – 4pm.  

If you cannot make a weekday appointment, get in touch - we may be able to offer you a Saturday appointment.

Contact Kingston Register Office

What to bring to your appointment

You need to bring the following information to the appointment:

  • baby’s place and date of birth
  • baby's full name
  • mother's full name
  • mother's name before she was married
  • mother's date and place of birth
  • mother's occupation
  • mother's address

If the father's details are to be included you will also need:

  • father's full name
  • father's date and place of birth
  • father's occupation
  • father's address

If you are married to each other you need to know:

  • date of the marriage
  • number of any other children

Please bring supporting documentation with you (e.g. passport, driving licence, utility bill, birth and marriage certificates) which will help ensure the information recorded is accurate.

However, if any of these documents are not available, the registrar can still go ahead with the birth registration.

Who can register a birth

The birth must be registered by one or both of the parents in person. If you and your husband or wife were married at the time of your child being born, either of you can register the birth.

If you were not married at the time of the birth, the mother can register the birth alone but the father’s details will not be recorded. To have the father’s details included on the register both of you need to be present when registering the birth.

Same sex female couples

Female couples can include both their names on their child’s birth certificate when registering the birth.

Married or civil partner parents

Either parent can register the birth on her own if:

  • the conception was assisted through fertility treatment on or after 6 April 2009
  • she was married or in a civil partnership at the time of the treatment

Unmarried or non civil partner parents

When a mother isn’t married or in a civil partnership, her partner can be seen as the child’s second parent if:

  • the treatment was provided by a UK licensed person
  • both women have made a legal ‘parenthood agreement’

If both parents wish to have their details recorded on the birth certificate, they must either:

  • register the birth jointly, or
  • complete a ‘Statutory declaration of acknowledgement of parentage’ form and one parent takes the signed form when she registers the birth, or
  • get a document from the court (e.g. a court order) giving the second female parent parental responsibility and one parent shows the document when she registers the birth

Male couples must get a parental order from the court before they can be registered as parents.

Cost of birth certificates 

It is free to register the birth of your baby. However, if your require the full birth certificate, it costs £11 per copy.

EU Citizens

To assist citizens from EU Countries, the General Register Office can provide you with an authorised version of the certificate translated into the official language of your county.  This is called a ‘Multi Standard Form’ (MSF), and costs £22 per copy.  

Please contact the General Register office for further information on 0300 123 1837.

Correct a birth certificate after registration

You can only correct a birth certificate when the information on the certificate is wrong (eg a mistake was made when recording a parent’s occupation). There is a fee payable for this service.

Unfortunately, you can’t change a birth certificate to show new information (eg changing your name after getting married again). But you can apply to re-register the birth if the natural parents get married at a later date.

Visit the GOV.UK website to find out:

  • what corrections can be made
  • who can apply
  • how to apply
  • how much it costs 
  • how long an application takes

Changing a surname on a birth certificate

Surnames cannot be changed on a birth certificate except through re-registration (adding the natural father’s details to a record) or through adoption.

Changing a first name on a birth certificate

You can change your child's first name on their birth certificate within 12 months of the original registration date.

There is a £40 fee payable for this service.

You must complete the 'Add a forename (not in baptism)' form and submit this to the Register Office in the district where you baby was born.

Changing birth certificates issued by Kingston Register Office

If you would like to change your child's first name on the birth certificate you should download and complete one of the following two forms:

You should then either take or send this completed form to Kingston Register Office with the statatory fee.