Play streets

Play streets are regular road closures to enable children to play safely in the street where they live, helping build community cohesion and a sense of place. The closures can last for up to three hours, starting at a fixed time and day on a weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis.

There is currently no charge for holding a play street within the borough providing these events are for neighbours and residents only. There is a different process for organising larger public events.

If you would like your play street to start by autumn/winter 2022, please send an initial play street enquiry as soon as possible and you will then be sent an application form to complete and submit by Sunday 13 October. 

Useful guidance and information for residents considering play streets is available at the Playing Out website.

Applying to host a play street 

  • you will need to complete our initial play street enquiry to host a play street event. You will be asked to include evidence of support from neighbours living in the affected section of your road. The evidence needs to provide the name, signature, address and comments from each neighbour
  • your enquiry will be reviewed within 10 working days and we will send advice and guidance to you on what to do next
  • once we have received your application, we will check with the relevant agencies within the Safety Advisory Group (SAG) regarding the proposed event, to check if there are any objections to your event taking place
  • we will issue you with a confirmation letter and a copy of the temporary traffic notice (TTN) for the road closure within two weeks of your application
  • you can also download our play streets event checklist to assist you during your event organising.

Frequently asked questions about play streets

Do I need insurance?  

We recommend that you purchase public liability insurance cover for a small residential street party. For further advice visit the Street Party Site and The Big Lunch. The costs can always be split between residents, or you could hold a raffle or ask for donations to cover the costs.

The Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames will not be held responsible for any damage to property, or injury to any person arising from or in connection with the street party, or other event.

Do I need to do a risk assessment?

It’s a good idea to do a risk assessment. A template is available at the Playing Out website.

Do I need to clean up afterwards?

Yes, you will need to clean up after your play street. Let people know in advance what time the play street will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling. Take your rubbish and recycling home. If you have too much recycling to store at home, you can take it to the Household Reuse and Recycling Centre (HRRC) off Villiers Road. Please do not leave bin bags on the streets as this may attract foxes and vermin.

Last Modified: 28/04/2022 13:52:04