Home content insurance

A special service for tenants and leaseholders of the Royal Borough of Kingston Upon Thames (RBK)

  • RBK insures the structure of your home but the cover doesn’t include what’s inside  such as your furniture , belongings or decorations against theft, fire, vandalism and burst pipes.
  • You need to take out your own household insurance either with this special scheme through Aviva or by making your own arrangements. We work with the UK’s largest insurer to offer home contents insurance that can be paid in monthly or annual instalments. Unlike some insurances, on this scheme, exclusively for RBK customers, there are no excesses – so nothing to pay in the event of a claim.
  • When you take out this insurance, your household goods and contents will be insured whilst in your home against events such as fire, theft or flooding. The Insurance also covers theft of your keys and the contents in your freezer. There is also cover for personal liability.
  • Accidental damage cover away from home is not covered as standard other than as detailed in the insurance product information document 
  • However, a full accidental damage option and options for cover away from the home are available for an additional costs, see cost of insurance table
  • There is no cover for wear and tear or mechanical breakdown
  • You can take advantage of the lowest amount to insure which is £7000.00

Protect your valuables with home contents insurance

Additional Cover

You also have the option to add certain items to your cover for an additional cost.

  • Full Accidental Damage: You can increase your home contents insurance cover to include Full Accidental Damage cover for belongings in your home.
  • Personal Belongings Cover: Cover for loss or damage to your belongings in and away from the home worldwide*.
  • Wheelchair and Mobility Scooter Cover: Cover for loss or damage to your wheelchair or mobility scooter in and away from the home worldwide*.
  • Hearing Aid Cover: Cover for loss or damage to your Hearing Aid in and away from the home worldwide*.
  • Pedal Cycle Cover: Cover for loss or damage to your pedal cycle in and away from the home worldwide*.

*Exclusions and Terms and Conditions apply, please contact the Rents and Service charge billing team ( Contents Insurance ) on 0208 547 5003 or email dataservices.housingteam@kingston.gov.uk for further details.

To calculate the total sum you would like to insure, you can use the Do it yourself table. You will need Microsoft Excel, If you don't have Microsoft Excel, you can print off a PDF version of the and enter your values to work out the total.

Apply for Home Insurance

For more information on the scheme please contact the Rents and service charge billing team ( Contents Insurance )

Email: Dataservices.housingteam@kingston.gov.uk

Telephone: 0208 547 5003

Home content insurance application form

Pay for home insurance

  • Direct Debit

If you wish to pay your contents insurance by direct debit please call the Team on 0208 547 5003, and this can be set up for you over the phone.

Direct debits are taken on the 6th of every month or for annual insurance on the 6th of April.

Direct debit mandate form

Once completed you can post the form to the address below or email dataservices.housingteam@kingston.gov.uk

  • Standing order: To set up a standing order

Once you have completed the form you can take it to your bank who will set up the scheme. You will need your 8 digit reference number ( policy number).

Standing order form

  • Pay your rent online with a debit or credit card 

You will need your 8 digit account number to complete the payment, this will be your policy number.

Pay your rent with our online system

If you do not have a bill or need support to find your account number please contact us 020 8547 5003

  • Pay by Phone

You can pay your council housing rent by debit or credit card over the phone using our 24 hour phone service:

  • you'll need a touch tone phone to use the service
  • you can pay using Mastercard, Visa, Visa Debit and Maestro
  • you'll need your account number so, have your bill to hand

Please call 0345 359 1111 and Follow the voice prompts and enter payment and card details via your telephone keypad.

Last Modified: 21/07/2023 11:59:33

Home Insurance

Address: Rents and service charge billing team ( Contents insurance)
Finance service centre
Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames
Guildhall two
Kingston upon Thames

Telephone: 0208 547 5003