Apply to make home improvements

Improvements that need our agreement

If you are a council tenant, you can carry out major home improvements with our written permission. We encourage you to maintain and improve your home.

You don’t need our permission for minor improvements, such as:

  • interior decoration
  • painting
  • wall papering
  • tiling

But you do need our permission for major improvements, such as:

  • replacing kitchens
  • replacing bathrooms
  • putting a shed or greenhouse in the garden
  • installing loft insulation

For works that may affect the structure of the property, you will need our permission and you may also need building regulations approval. These include projects such as:

  • removing a chimney breast
  • installing a conservatory
  • doing works to a loft space

You should not assume if you have building regulations approval or planning permission for works that you will receive permission from us (the Housing team).

Housing association tenants who want to do home improvements should contact their housing association.

Last Modified: 25/06/2020 15:27:18

Housing Office

Open Monday to Thursday 9am to 5pm and Friday 9am to 4.45pm

Address: Guildhall 2
High Street
Kingston Upon Thames