Skips on the highways
A licence is required to place a skip on a public road or highway.
To apply for a skip licence on a path or highway you will need to be a registered skip company and have Public Liability Insurance.
Register your skip company
- You should allow at least five working days to register as a skip operator.
- By registering, you agree with the terms and conditions for placing a skip on the highway
- To register, you need to download, complete and return an application form.
- The registration fee is £113 from the 1st April 2021. You will also need to enclose:
- proof of your public liability insurance - with a minimum cover of £6m
- a copy of a waste transfer note
- a waste carrier's licence certificate
- a goods vehicle operator's licence
- Skip company registration is valid for 12 months, you will have to renew with us each year.
If your application is approved, we will issue you with a registration number. Your registration can be withdrawn if you break the licence conditions.
Once registered you still need a licence for each skip you want to place on the public highway
Please email a completed skip licence request to firstname.lastname@example.org for authorisation and approval
Cost of a licence
One month skip licence - £133 per skip.
- First make sure you are registered with us
- Then send us payement for the relevant amount. You can pay by cheque or Bacs.
Please make the cheque payable to 'RBK' and send along with a covering letter to:
DES Business Support (Skip Request)
Kingston Upon Thames
Lloyds Bank Acct:14717168
Quoting - A92020 Q17116-Skip
We will only approve the licence once payment has been cleared.
Terms and conditions
You must make sure the skip is:
- marked with your name and address or telephone number
- in good condition, eg no holes
- not going to cause any injuries to pedestrians who brush past it
- not adversely obstructing the road or footpath
- not blocking any drains
- painted yellow on both ends to reflect headlights of approaching cars
- not placed on a verge unless authorised by the Council
- not placed outside nightclubs when the club is in use