Skips on the highways

A licence is required to place a skip on a public road or highway.

To apply for a skip licence on a path or highway you will need to be a registered skip company and have Public Liability Insurance.

Register your skip company

  • You should allow at least five working days to register as a skip operator.
  • By registering, you agree with the terms and conditions for placing a skip on the highway
  • To register, you need to download, complete and return an application form. 
  • The registration fee is £113 from the 1st April 2021. You will also need to enclose:
    • proof of your public liability insurance - with a minimum cover of £6m
    • a copy of a waste transfer note
    • a waste carrier's licence certificate
    • a goods vehicle operator's licence
  • Skip company registration is valid for 12 months, you will have to renew with us each year.

If your application is approved, we will issue you with a registration number. Your registration can be withdrawn if you break the licence conditions. 

Once registered you still need a licence for each skip you want to place on the public highway

Please email a completed skip licence request to for authorisation and approval

Register your company form

Cost of a licence

One month skip licence -  £133 per skip.


  • First make sure you are registered with us 
  • Then send us payement for the relevant amount. You can pay by cheque or Bacs.

Please make the cheque payable to 'RBK' and send along with a covering letter to:

DES Business Support (Skip Request)
Guildhall 2
High Street
Kingston Upon Thames

Bacs payment

Lloyds Bank Acct:14717168

Sort 308012

Quoting - A92020 Q17116-Skip

We will only approve the licence once payment has been cleared.  

Terms and conditions

You must make sure the skip is:

  • marked with your name and address or telephone number
  • in good condition, eg no holes
  • not going to cause any injuries to pedestrians who brush past it
  • not adversely obstructing the road or footpath
  • not blocking any drains
  • painted yellow on both ends to reflect headlights of approaching cars
  • not placed on a verge unless authorised by the Council
  • not placed outside nightclubs when the club is in use

Any unlicensed skips or skips not abiding by the conditions outlined will be subject to a fixed penalty notice charge

Last Modified: 18/11/2022 15:20:51