How we manage our historic environment
The borough’s urban and suburban areas have developed over time and its buildings cover a wide range of styles and periods.
We protect the historic structures and work with developers on achieving high quality contemporary public spaces and buildings that complement the historic surroundings.
We help protect the historic environment by:
- selecting and managing conservation areas and Local Areas of Special Character (LASC)
- managing existing listed buildings and identifying new ones for either statutory or local listing
- advising on the conservation elements of planning, appeals and enforcement applications
- creating policy around the historic environment
- encouraging good conservation practice on land that we manage.
We help develop a high quality new environment by:
- starting improvement schemes for public spaces and contributing to their design
- advising on the design elements of planning, appeals and enforcement applications
- creating policy on urban design matters
- working with developers on scheme designs before applications are submitted, ensuring good design is present from the beginning
- encouraging good urban design practice on land that we manage.