Apply for a home improvement grant or loan

Grants for private tenants receiving benefits

Grants towards energy improvement works

Private tenants receiving benefits can apply for a grant towards energy improvement works such as:

  • heating systems
  • heating controls
  • property insulation

If you receive a grant from us, there will be conditions that last 10 years. This means if your property is sold or transferred within 10 years, you'll need to repay the grant. 

If the property needs other repairs to make it safe, your landlord is responsible for those repairs. We work with landlords to improve property conditions. If needed, we take action to make landlords comply with the law.

How to apply

First read our standard rules and conditions and then contact us for an application form. You'll need to return the completed application form with:

  • two recent detailed quotes
  • proof of ownership
  • proof of benefit
  • a certificate confirming ownership

As part of the application process, we'll visit the property to check for any hazards under the housing health and safety rating system (HHSRS).

When to start work and conditions

Don't carry out any work before you get confirmation from us that your grant has been approved. We won't pay out any grants towards works that have already been started or completed. 

We pay out the grant or loan to the builder when works are completed to a satisfactory standard.

If you get a loan or grant from us we'll register a land charge on the property. This means there is an outstanding financial claim on the property. Any new purchasers will find out about the claim when their solicitor checks the land registry.

There will also be conditions. Grants come with conditions that last 10 years. This means if the property is sold or transferred within 10 years, the landlord will need to repay the grant.  

Last Modified: 18/05/2020 16:48:38

Housing Contact Centre

You can get in touch with our Contact Centre

Address: Guildhall 2
High Street
Kingston upon Thames

Telephone: 0208 547 5003